Friday 13 April 2012

Blender and Sketchup again...

After spending the last week trying to export my sketchup file to a format that I can import into blender I have finally got the entire model into blender... but the file is 1.8GB! Blender doesn't recognise the instances of componenets that were created in sketchup meaning every piece of geometry in the model becomes part of a huge mesh in blender.

To get the model into blender I had to break it down into 20 smaller parts in sketchup before exporting each part as an .obj file. I then had to import each of these parts individually into blender but couldn't get them to import properly into blender 2.6 or 2.62 (the most recent version) so had to go back to version 2.49 to import them. I then saved these as .blend files and appended each one into a master blender model - the model that is 1.8GB - without textures. The model is too slow to do anything with so I am going to try linking the different parts of the model into a master file rather than appending them - linking references the other file whereas appending makes a new local version of the file within the new model. Hopefully doing this will mean the model runs faster, I will be able to apply textures and materials in the smaller models and they will be referenced into the master model... that's the plan anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment